Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Literacy Changes


For the past eight years, our district's literacy program was Trophies which like most programs was good in some areas and lacked in others.  We found that we needed to supplement materials in order to make the program work with our full day kindergarten classes. As sat down to align Trophies to the Common Core we realized that it was going to be a bigger task than we signed up for.  The Trophies program would need non-fiction stories and new guided reading books along with other materials.

So our district decided (after a few schools piloted it for a year), that we were going to get Journeys which was already Common Core aligned.  I am excited and nervous about this change.  Not having to align an out-of-date program is exciting but not knowing the new program is nerve-wracking.  I am going into this upcoming year, knowing that, like most programs, Journey's will probably lack in an area or two but that's o.k.  I am looking forward this year to come so I can dive into all that Journey's has to offer!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the transition. Anytime there is curriculum change we all are nervous. I know I am. I get nervous each day before I teach a new lesson just because I'm not sure how it'll go. Teenagers can be critical as well as most kids. It's hard to tell ourselves that bumps are ok as long as we fill in the potholes so the next kid doesn't fall in as well. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be a great switch for your school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you analogy about the potholes! I never thought of it that way but it fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete