Monday, August 19, 2013

A Nice Reminder

A teacher friend of mine shared a blog post this morning that I thought was a great reminder for every teacher before we all go back to school.  It is easy to get caught up in the hussle and bussle of the new year and making sure that everything is perfect but in the end it is the everyday small conversations that the kids remember.  We need to be careful (especially in kindergarten where the kids are in a new big school) what we say and how we say it.  We also need to remember that this is a scary time for them, especially in September.  The biggest lesson that I took from this blog was that it is just as, if not more traumatic for the parents to let go of their child for the first time.  They don't want them to grow up and fell like their 'baby' is leaving them. I need to take as much time easing them into the year as I do the children.

I hope you all take a moment to read this wonderful blog post and I hope you all have a fantastic school year!!!

http://kylenebeers.com/blog/2012/08/20/why-i-hated-merediths-first-grade-teacher-an-open-letter-to-americas-teachers/ 

2 comments:

  1. You are so right. It is all of the little things that matter. Recently, our head of school spoke to the coaches. He told all of the coaches that the children's experiences on the field are just as important and that the coaches have a rare opportunity to make a huge difference in each child's day just from one small encounter on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this in a way. I had to start my baby in daycare after spending a 6 week maternity leave and the entire summer with him. I cried and I feel guilty everyday but I have to work. It is very hard to see them grow up and bigger and get even closer to making even bigger steps than going to kindergarten. It makes me sad. Why can't they stay little forever?!

    ReplyDelete